As you know, the situation surrounding COVID-19 protocols and regulations is changing rapidly and has resulted in various state and local health mandates. Below are the latest developments:
A new Health order by the City of Long Beach states that attendees at all outdoor “mega events” – those with attendance of more than 10,000 people – will require proof of vaccination status or a negative Covid-19 test result prior to entry to the start/finish area on Sunday, October 10th. This order will affect participants of the Marathon, Half Marathon, and/or Bike Tour.
What does this mean?
- If you are participating in a Sunday, October 10th event – the Marathon, Half Marathon, or Bike Tour – you will be required to show proof of vaccination status or a negative Covid-19 test result to pick up your race bib.
- Participants in a Sunday event – the Marathon, Half Marathon, or Bike Tour – will be required to pick up their own race bib. Proxy pick-up will NOT be offered for the 2021 Long Beach Marathon.
- Participants in a Sunday event – the Marathon, Half Marathon, or Bike Tour – will also be required to show photo ID to pick-up their race bib.
- Participants will also be required to wear masks in the Start/Finish areas while not actively eating or drinking. Please plan to carry your mask with you on race day.
- Participants in Saturday, October 9th’s Aquarium of the Pacific 5K are NOT required to show proof of vaccination status or a negative Covid-19 test result to participate.
I am vaccinated, how can I show proof?
- The Long Beach Marathon is partnering with CrowdPass to streamline the verification process ahead of the 2021 event. Please click the button below to register your status in their system to ensure a quick and easy check-in process at the Race Expo.
- Fully vaccinated participants can upload their vaccination card for verification by the CrowdPass system. Once verified, you will be sent a QR code that you will show at the Race Expo to enter via an express lane.
- While we strongly encourage fully vaccinated participants to upload their results via CrowdPass to get a QR code, you will be able to show proof of vaccination on-site in a non-express lane via:
- CDC card (hard copy or photo)
- An electronic record from State (email or hard copy)
- An electronic record saved to iPhone Wallet
I am unvaccinated, how can I participate?
- Unvaccinated individuals (including children over the age of 2 who are not eligible to be vaccinated) must present a negative Covid-19 test result within 72 hours of race day (Sunday, October 10th) to participate in the 2021 Long Beach Marathon.
- The test must be taken no earlier than Thursday, October 7th to comply with the new health order.
- Your negative Covid-19 test result can be uploaded to CrowdPass to streamline the verification process ahead of the 2021 event.
- Beginning, Thursday, October 7th, you can upload your negative test results via the link below to generate a QR code that you will show at the Race Expo to enter via an express lane.
- Negative Covid-19 test results (hard copy or photo) can also be shown at the Race Expo via a non-express lane.
- Click here to find a testing center near you
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What forms of vaccination proof are considered acceptable?
One of the following is an acceptable form of proof of vaccination: 1. CDC card (hard copy or photo); 2. An electronic record from State (email or hard copy); 3. An electronic record saved to iPhone Wallet.
What is the City’s definition of “vaccinated?”
The definition of “vaccinated” in the eyes of the City for event entry purposes is: 1) you have taken both shots of a two-dose vaccine or the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine and 2) you must have taken your last dose of vaccine at least two weeks prior to the start of the event.
When can I take my Covid-19 for proof of negative result?
A negative Covid-19 test result with 72 hours is required for participation on Sunday, October 10th. Test results must show a date no earlier than Thursday, October 7th to comply with the health order by the City of Long Beach.
Are those who are not vaccinated due to health or religious reasons still required to undergo the COVID-19 testing procedures?
Yes, everyone (ages 2 and older) who is not vaccinated is required to undergo the COVID- 19 testing procedures.
Will my child be required to undergo the COVID-19 testing procedures?
Children aged 2 and older will require a negative COVID-19 test.
Are vendors, event staff, and other various staff working at the event required to provide proof of vaccination and/or test for COVID-19 prior to the event?
Yes, all vendors, staff, and volunteers working on Sunday, October 10th must show proof of vaccination status or a negative Covid-19 test result in order to participate during the actual event.
Do I have to wear a mask at the event?
Face coverings will be required on Sunday, October 10th, in the Start/Finish areas while not actively eating or drinking. Please plan to carry your mask with you on race day.
Can my friends or family pick-up my bib for me at the Race Expo if I upload my vaccination status to CrowdPass?
No – to comply with the health order by the City of Long Beach – all individuals participating in the Marathon, Half Marathon, or Bike Tour must show their own proof of vaccination in-person at the Race Expo in order to pick up their race bib. All individuals must show photo ID to pick-up their race bib.
I cannot attend the Race Expo, can I pick up my bib on race morning?
Yes – race day packet pick-up is still available for $25. You can add this option by visiting your ACTIVE MyEvents account:
- Find your 2021 Long Beach Marathon & Half Marathon entry
- Click Purchase merchandise
- Scroll down to Packet Pick up
- Select Race Day Packet Pick-up for $25
- Click Continue to go to the checkout page
Will I have to show proof of vaccination status or a negative Covid-19 test result on race day?
Participants picking up their race bib at the Race Expo will not be required to show proof of vaccination status or a negative Covid-19 test result for a second time.
Participants that are picking up their packet on race morning via Race Day Packet Pick Up ($25) will be required to show their QR code from CrowdPass or a hard/digital copy of their proof of vaccination or negative Covid-19 test result.
What are my options if I am not fully vaccinated and do not wish to participate in the event?
Participants that are not fully vaccinated and do not wish to participate in the event can adhere to our standard race options:
- Switch to the Virtual Event: Participants in a Sunday event can switch to the virtual event. Virtual runners can plan their own course/route and run either the half marathon or marathon distance on their own. Track your run with your Garmin, Strava, or other device and submit your results beginning on October 3rd. Our team will mail your race packet to you after race weekend. For additional information, visit our Virtual Races page or our Virtual Race FAQs. Please email email@example.com to switch to the virtual race no later than October 3, 2021.
- Defer your Entry to 2022: Participants can request a race deferral by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 26, 2021. Deferral policies:
- Participants that previously deferred their entry from 2020 will be granted a free deferral to 2022
- Participants that paid for the 2021 race will be subject to a 50% fee of the 2022 registration entry fee when deferring their entry
- Please email email@example.com to request a deferral.
- All registration fees are non-refundable. This race, in accordance with management executives, city officials, and local law enforcement has the authority to cancel any of the events for emergency purposes such as, but not limited to, inclement weather, a pandemic, or threat of terrorism. If such emergency conditions force cancellation, refunds cannot be provided.
Where can I learn more about Covid-19?
For more information and to find out where you can get vaccinated and tested for COVID-19 in Long Beach, please visit longbeach.gov/COVID19 or call (562) 570-4636.